Fall Summit Frequently Asked Questions
1. What factors did NIA consider when making the decision to reschedule Fall Summit?
This was a very long and difficult decision making process. NIA’s leadership, General Counsel, and staff have spent a lot of time recently discussing the possible impact on members, our contractual obligations, the financial implications for both NIA and member companies, and logistical concerns for both cancelling the Fall Summit or rescheduling it. We have also heard first-hand accounts from Board members who have been through natural disasters in the past about the impact on the area and its ability to recover. Additionally, we surveyed the NIA members who are registered to attend Fall Summit and the NIA members already committed to exhibit at Reed Exhibitions’ IEX USA trade show. This decision took into account all the member feedback we received and the survey results, as well as:
- Safety of NIA members;
- Comments from NIA members attending and exhibiting;
- IEX USA rescheduling dates and the impact of that on our NIA members exhibiting;
- Cost to NIA members;
- Cost to NIA member companies exhibiting;
- Financial cost to NIA;
- Contractual obligations;
- Loss of NIA member meetings and committee progress;
- Progress of NIA initiatives; and
- Logistical, operational, and financial concerns about the ability to move the Fall Summit to a different hotel and the lack of available dates.
2. What are the new dates for NIA’s Fall Summit 2017?
The new dates for Fall Summit 2017 are December 12–13, 2017. We anticipate that the Fall Summit speakers, committee meetings, and educational content will proceed as originally planned, but there may be changes that arise as we prepare for the December event. Attendees will be made aware of any such changes and are encouraged to view the schedule of events.
3. I’ll be at the Fall Summit in December! Do I need to update my registration?
Nope! All you need to do is show up to the event and pick up your badge, as you would have in September. However, you will want to update your flight reservation for the new dates.
4. I have already reserved my hotel for the Fall Summit. How do I cancel or update my reservation?
If you made a hotel reservation for the Marriott Marquis Houston through NIA’s website and onPeak (https://compass.onpeak.com/e/012602111), your reservation (for $199 per night) will be automatically updated for the new December dates. You should have received an email from onPeak at the end of August with this information. In a few weeks, you will receive a new confirmation that will also outline any necessary next steps. You only need to take action if you wish to cancel your reservation.
If you made your hotel reservation directly through the Marriott (instead of onPeak) you will need to call the hotel at 713-654-1777 and cancel your reservation.
5. I can’t make the rescheduled Fall Summit dates. What do I do?
If you can’t make the December 12-13 dates, NIA will allow you to transfer the registration to another member of your team so your company doesn’t miss out on the educational content and networking. For those that need a refund, NIA will refund your full Fall Summit registration fee or you can donate the registration amount to a charity for hurricane relief efforts. All refund and donation requests must be made via email by Monday, October 9, 2017. Any questions regarding transferring your registration or refunds should be sent to email@example.com.
6. What charity is NIA donating the registration fees to?
We are currently investigating which charity we can partner with to make the greatest impact.
7. What do I do about my flight?
Many airlines are allowing passengers to reschedule their flights or receive a credit for the flight. Contact your airline directly.
8. Who should I contact if I have questions about Reed Exhibitions’ IEX USA trade show?
On August 30th, the IEX USA trade show was rescheduled for December 12–13, 2017. The pattern of events will be the same as initially planned. If you have specific questions about IEX USA or an exhibitor booth, please contact Reed Exhibitions directly. Mark Swagerty is available at firstname.lastname@example.org and 203-840-5847.
9. Why did Reed Exhibitions choose December dates for the IEX USA show?
Due to the devastating flooding and damage caused to the Houston area by Hurricane Harvey, the meeting site, the George R. Brown Convention Center, was used as an emergency shelter for those displaced by the storm. Many events that were scheduled to be held at the Convention Center were postponed to later dates in the year.
Reed Exhibitions discussed the options with the Convention Center. Based on the space and availability at the Convention Center and nearby hotels, they felt the best option was to move forward with these December dates. IEX USA will remain co-located with the Turbomachinery and Pump Symposium (TPS). Reed Exhibitions understands that the dates are not ideal and that it is a very busy time of year
10. Why wasn’t the Fall Summit rescheduled for dates in November in Washington, DC?
Finding a hotel with the meeting space, guest room availability, and dates that avoided the holidays would be very costly and difficult to confirm in such a short period of time. Once Reed Exhibitions rescheduled their show, IEX USA, NIA wanted to reduce the burden on our members and avoid the need for them to travel to two separate shows. In addition, NIA wanted to support the NIA member companies that were already committed to exhibit at IEX USA by rescheduling the Fall Summit alongside Reed Exhibitions’ trade show.
11. Will the George R. Brown Convention Center and surrounding areas be ready for the Fall Summit meeting in December?
Yes, the George R. Brown Convention Center and surrounding area is fully functional and has sustained minimal damage. As of Friday, September 1, the emergency shelter population had dropped to approximately 1,500. The Convention Center is looking to open its doors again to meetings starting in mid-September. Surrounding hotels in downtown Houston, including the Marriott Marquis, sustained minimal damage and are fully operational. Houston is encouraging us to help support their efforts to rebuild by rescheduling our event rather than cancelling or holding it in a different city.
12. How do I receive updates about NIA members who might have been affected by Hurricane Harvey?
To read updates from affected members, please visit our new web page: https://tinyurl.com/ybv5zvsj, which will allow members of our NIA family to check on friends and donate to help support fellow members during this difficult time.
13. How do I donate to relief efforts for Hurricane Harvey?
To see options for donating to relief, please visit https://tinyurl.com/ybv5zvsj.
NIA would be happy to answer any additional questions you may have. Please email email@example.com or call the NIA office at 703-464-6422.