Free Online Training Class
This 2-hour online self-paced class teaches the basics and science of insulation in 5 modules. Each section of the Mechancial Insulation Basics series is 20-45 minutes and is followed by a quiz. You can incorporate these modules into your own training program or use them as an introduction to the basics of an insulation system.
- Module 1: Educational Series Introduction and Defining Mechanical Insulation
- Module 2: Benefits of Mechanical Insulation
- Module 3: Mechanical Insulation, Science, and Technology
- Module 4: Mechanical Insulation Design Objectives and Considerations
- Module 5: Mechanical Insulation Maintenance
Mechanical Insulation Design Guide (Design Guide)
This website explains the different design questions you should consider when designing an insulation system. It is a decision tree that guides you through the process and assists you in insulation material selection. There are also 8 different insulation calculators that go beyond 3E Plus® and help you determine proper thickness, ROI, and how to control temperatures. A quick link to the calculators is in the next section.
- Design Objectives
- Materials & Systems
- Design Data
- Insulation Basics online training
- Insulation Calculators
These unique online calculators will help you determine how to build your insulation system. Click here to use them for your next project!
- Condensation Control Calculator for Horizontal Pipe
Energy Conservation—Financial Considerations
- Energy Calculator for Equipment (Vertical Flat Surfaces)
- Energy Calculator for Horizontal Piping
Economic Considerations—Return on Investment
- Mechanical Insulation Financial Calculator
- Personnel Protection Calculator for Horizontal Piping
- Estimated Time to Freezing for Water in an Insulated Pipe Calculator
- Temperature Drop Calculator for Air Ducts
- Temperature Drop Calculator for Hydronic Piping
NIA's Membership Directory
Our members are one of our best resources. Search by contractor, distributor, fabricator, manufacturer, metal building laminator, company name, or by state. Click here to get started.
Technical Reference Materials—Spec Guides and Glossary
NIA provides mechanical insulation-specific resources updated by the membership for the industry.
- Insulation Materials Specification Chart
- The Guide to Insulation Product Specifications
- The Insulation Science Glossary
Download the latest version of these publications on NIA's Specs and Codes webpage.
The North American Insulation Manufacturers Association’s (NAIMA's) free 3E Plus® is software program designed for fibrous insulation that makes it easy to calculate the appropriate insulation thickness necessary for any application. Download it for free from www.pipeinsulation.org. A new version is expected to be release in 2021/2022.
The North American Commercial & Industrial Insulation Standards (NACIIS) manual, also known as the MICA Manual, was developed by the Midwest Insulation Contractors Association (MICA). The newly updated 9th Edition is available both in printed and interactive PDF versions with the famous MICA insulation plates. Purchase it in English and French at www.micainsulation.org.