Thermal Insulation Inspector Recertification
Once students complete the Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification™ course and successfully passes both exams, they become a NIA Certified Inspector for 3years. The certification will expire on December 31 of the third year, regardless of the month the recertification was completed. During the third year, the inspector will receive an email detailing the online recertification process. Here is the process:
- Each inspector pays the appropriate recertification fees:
- Once payment is processed, inspectors will receive a receipt and instructions for completing the recertification process:
- Option 1: Via an online link, submit information pertaining to an inspection completed within the last 3 years.
- Option 2: Take a short exam and score 70% or higher to pass the exam. If the inspector does not achieve a passing score but has paid the recertification fee, they can retake the exam up to two times for no additional charge.
- Inspectors who successfully complete this process will receive a new certificate.
- The inspector’s name will appear on the NIA website as a certified inspector.
Inspectors who pay the recertification fee prior to December 9, 2022, will have free access to a virtual recertification webinar. This webinar will provide an overview of the recertification process and provide a detailed review of the course materials to help prepare for the recertification exam.
If the inspector has not recertified by the expiration date of December 31 in the third year of their certification and is within a calendar year of the recertification expiration date, their certification is considered lapsed. During the lapsed certification period of 1 year, the inspector will not be eligible to perform inspections under the Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification program module, use or promote their NIA Certified Inspector credentials, and will not be listed as current appraisers on the NIA website.
The lapsed inspector may reinstate their certification by meeting the following criteria:
- Submit the appropriate fees:
- Member rate: $375 (includes $100 reinstatement fee)
- Non-member rate: $550 (includes $100 reinstatement fee)
- Pass the online exam or submit information on a recent inspection performed during his/her most recent Active Certification period.
Lapsed inspectors who do not recertify by the end of the year in which their certification expired AND did not reinstate during the 1-year grace period in which their certification was lapsed, their Thermal Insulation Inspection Certification becomes inactive. Once a certification has become inactive, the inactive inspector will not be eligible to perform inspections under the Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification and they will not be listed as current inspectors on the NIA website.
If a certification has become inactive, the inspector must reinstate his/her certification by retaking the course and exam at the prevailing NIA member/non-member course registration rate and receiving a passing grade of 70% or higher on both exams as part of the Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification course.
Retaking NIA’s Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification Course
Any student who would like to take the full Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification course again may be eligible to receive a $200 discount on the course registration fee. Students must be a NIA member/engineering firm/end user/owner and must request the discount prior to retaking the class. No post-class rebate will be issued.