Whether you are looking for basic insulation information or need to design a complex insulation system, the Mechanical Insulation Design Guide (MIDG) is the best resource. Designed to assist the novice or the knowledgeable user alike in the design, selection, specification, installation, and maintenance of mechanical insulation, the MIDG is continually updated with the most current and complete information.
An insulation designer’s basic questions can be summed up as follows:
- Why am I insulating this?
- What am I insulating?
- Where am I insulating and what are the ambient design conditions?
- What materials and systems are best for this job?
- How much will this cost and what is the best way to implement this solution?
The MIDG is divided into sections that answer each of these questions:
- Design Objectives
- Materials and Systems
- Design Data
- Case Studies
- Update Summary
Users will also find a product selection chart, searchable by temperature, and simple calculators:
- Condensation Control Calculator for Horizontal Pipe
- Energy Calculator for Equipment (Vertical Flat Surfaces)
- Energy Calculator for Horizontal Piping
- Mechanical Insulation Financial Calculator
- Estimate Time to Freezing for Water in an Insulated Pipe Calculator
- Temperature Drop Calculator for Air Ducts
- Temperature Drop Calculator for Hydronic Piping
- Personnel Protection Calculator for Horizontal Piping
MIDG also links to NIA’s MTL Product Catalog, the only online library of technical literature for the insulation industry, searchable by product or company. The MTL Product Catalog makes the most up-to-date product information available to MIDG users in one convenient place.
MIDG was developed by the National Institute of Building Sciences and the National Insulation Association with contributions from 15 organizations, 60 manufacturers and fabricators, and 12 contractors, as well as the involvement of more than 100 individuals. MIDG is intended to be an unbiased, comprehensive, living document and vertical portal resource to assist specifiers, facility owners, and other users of mechanical insulation systems for a wide range of industrial and commercial applications.
Using insulation industry resources, we have developed these unique tools specifically for you. Learn how to use these tools in your everyday business to train your workers and grow your client base and revenue. Need to help a client justify the investment in insulation? Need to learn how to proper design an insulation system or explain why the current system is problematic? Need a specific calculation for a tricky system? Spend one hour learn how to do it!