Mechanical Insulation Design Guide
This Calculator estimates the thickness of insulation required to prevent condensation on the outer surface of an insulation system.
- Line 1. Select Nominal Pipe Size, NPS
- Line 2. Enter average operating (process) temperature
- Line 3. Enter average temperature of the air surounding the pipe
- Line 4. Enter relative humidity of the ambient air
- Line 5. Enter the wind speed of the ambient air (if unknown, use 0 mph for worst case conditions)
- Line 6. Select an insulation material
- Line 7. Select the effective emittance of the exterior surface
Notes: Condensation control thickness is highlighted. (The thickness that provides average surface temperature > Dew Point + a safety factor of 0.75°F)
NA = Not Available. Some sizes and thicknesses may not be commercially available and some materials are available in sizes and thicknesses not listed.
- One dimensional, steady state heat transfer
- Base structure is a horizontal steel pipe
- Thermal conductivity based on ASTM Specification Values. Refer to the introductory notes for further clarifications.
One of the values is empty, not a number, or lower than zero.