Mechanical Insulation Design Guide
This calculator estimates maximum contact exposure times on the outer surface of a horizontal pipe insulation system based on the potential for contact burn injuries.
(Input information may generally be be obtained from design documents or field measurements)
- Line 1. Select Nominal Pipe Size, NPS
- Line 2. Enter operating (process) temperature
- Line 3. Enter temperature of the air surrounding the pipe
- Line 4. Enter the wind speed of the ambient air (if unknown, use 0 mph for worst case conditions)
- Line 5. Select an insulation material
- Line 6. Select the effective emittance of the exterior surface
Note: Maximum contact times calculated via procedure from ASTM C 1055 (Fig 1, Threshold B- Reversible Epidermal Injury).
Note: Calculator does not screen for material temperature limitations - Use caution.
Note: Note NA = Not Available. Some sizes and thicknesses may not be commercially available and some materials are available in sizes and thicknesses not listed.
- One dimensional, steady state heat transfer
- Base structure is a horizontal steel pipe
- Thermal conductivity based on ASTM Specification Values. Refer to the introductory notes for further clarifications.