NIA’s Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification
NIA's Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification Program, a two-part, four-day course to educate insulation inspectors on how to evaluate installation work and determine whether it is compliant with mechanical insulation specifications.
Upcoming Courses 2024:
- NIA's Understanding Mechanical Insulation - June 5-6, 2024
- NIA's Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification- June 5-6, 2024 and June 11-12, 2024
- NIA's Understanding Mechanical Insulation - December 4-5, 2024
- NIA's Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification- December 4-5, 2024 and December 10-11, 2024
To become a Certified Thermal Insulation Inspector, class participants must complete both levels of the 4-day course and receive a passing grade on the final examination at the end of each level. You also will need to have successfully completed the online Mechanical Insulation Basics course (formerly known as “Mechanical Insulation Education and Awareness Campaign E-Learning Modules,”), resulting in an initial understanding of the principles and fundamentals of insulation and insulation systems, types of insulation products, mechanical insulation science and technology, maintenance, and more. The fee for this course is included as part of the registration fee, and a link to take the onDemand course will be sent to attendees after registering for the course.
If a registration form is received after the deadline date an expedited shipping/administrative fee of $50 will be added automatically to the course registration fee.
NIA Certiﬁed Thermal Insulation Inspector Beneﬁts
This certiﬁcation program will educate you on mechanical insulation, how to verify that the insulation is being installed to the speciﬁcation, and how to identify potential areas of concern during initial installation or ongoing operations.
Who Should Take This Course
This certification-level course is designed for experienced insulation professionals ready to learn a new specialty and companies ready to offer insulation system inspection as part of their services. The course is beneficial for anyone who has responsibility for contracts, maintenance, business development, quality assurance (QA)/quality control (QC), project oversight, safety, inspections, estimating, management, product development, mechanical insulation system design, and specification development.
Articles on the Benefits of Inspection and NIA's Certification Course
- Prioritizing Insulation: Protecting People, Systems, and Investments in All Seasons
- Insulation Systems: The Value of Insulation and Maintenance
- What Engineers Need to Know and Where Support Can Be Found
- Insulation is an Investment and an Asset
- Inspectioneering Journal Article
- NIA Establishes New Industry Certification: The Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification™
About the Program
To become a Certified Thermal Insulation Inspector, class participants must complete both levels of the 4-day course and receive a passing grade on the final examination at the end of each level. Click here for a sample course agenda.
Attending a virtual course? Click here for tips on a successful virtual training experience!
Part 1: NIA’s Understanding Mechanical Insulation course
NIA’s Understanding Mechanical Insulation includes a review of the insulation industry market segments; the need and importance of inspection; the purpose of mechanical insulation systems and why that is important to the inspection process; primary insulation materials and protective coverings; the importance of Safety Data Sheets; and codes, standards, regulations, and guidelines, and how they are intertwined.
Part 2: NIA’s Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification course
NIA’s Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification course includes topics such as the roles and responsibilities of an inspector; the basis of inspection—what are you inspecting to; the inspection process in new construction and maintenance; inspection tools and techniques; common occurrences/ problem areas that may be encountered during an inspection; and inspection documentation and reporting.
Click here to read about NIA's Cancellation Policy and Course Guidelines.
Course Registration Rates
- NIA Member: $2,805 (regular rate), $2,695 (cash/check discount)
- Engineer/Owner/End User/TIAC Member: $2,805 (regular rate), $2,695 (cash/check discount)
- Non-Member: $3,690 (regular rate), $3,545 (cash/check discount)
Pre-qualifications for the Program
NIA’s Inspector Certification is developed for individuals who have good communication skills as well as the following:
- Have successfully completed the online Mechanical Insulation Basics course (formerly known as “Mechanical Insulation Education and Awareness Campaign E-Learning Modules,”), resulting in an initial understanding of the principles and fundamentals of insulation and insulation systems, types of insulation products, mechanical insulation science and technology, maintenance, and more. The fee for this course is included as part of the registration fee, and a link to take the onDemand course will be sent to attendees after registering for the course.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in commercial and/or industrial construction, process, and maintenance industry, inspection, or related fields
- Good communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment; and
- The ability to recognize potential basic safety concerns during facility visits and insulation system inspections.
Scott Sinclair is the National Specification Manager, Industrial Insulation at Johns Manville (JM). From June 2019 through March 2020, he was Regional Technical Manager for the Eastern and Midwest United States and Eastern Canada. Before joining JM, he was the National Sales Manager for Scott Manufacturing, an insulation fabricator for the OEM HVAC and appliance markets. Previously, he was the North America Sales and Technical Manager for ULVA Insulation Systems. Scott represents JM’s Industrial Insulation group on various AMPP, API, NIA, and ASTM committees. He is a NIA Certified Thermal Insulation Inspector and Insulation Energy Appraiser, and also is an instructor for both of these NIA certification-level classes.
Based in Denver, Colorado, with more than 40 years of industry experience, Garry Caudill spent over 20 years with Johns Manville, serving in a wide variety of capacities within JM’s insulation businesses from sales management to product, marketing, and channel management. Prior to his recent retirement, Garry was the Product Management Leader for JM’s Industrial Insulation business. Previously, Garry worked for Thermal Ceramics for 22 years.
Based in Houston, Texas, and a 50-year veteran of the commercial and industrial insulation industry, Ron King held executive management positions with a national distributor/fabricator, an accessory manufacturer, and a specialty insulation contractor. He was awarded the NIA’s President’s Award in 1986 and again in 2001. Ron King is a Past President, Honorary Member, and Consultant for NIA.
Course Schedule and Materials
The course runs from approximately 8 a.m. –5 p.m. CT which will include breaks throughout the day and for lunch.
Click here to read about NIA's Cancellation Policy and Course Guidelines.
Students will receive the following materials shipped to their preferred address: Two professionally printed full-color course manuals and one copy of the North American Commercial & Industrial Insulation Standards 9th edition. Additional shipping charges will occur for students who live outside of the United States.
Students who pass the exam will also receive a certification marketing kit (certificate, electronic sample documents, marketing materials, etc.).
- Part 1: NIA’s Understanding Mechanical Insulation exam is taken on day 2 of the course.
- Part 2: NIA’s Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification Course exam is taken on day 4 of the course.
- Each exam has 50 questions and will cover information that was discussed in each section.
- Students must score 70% or higher on both exams to become a Certified Thermal Insulation Inspector.
- Students who do not score at least 70% on each exam will be notified by NIA about how to retake the exam after the class. Retake exams can be taken at a Prov testing center, and more information will be provided by NIA.
Computer Requirements for the Virtual Course and Online Exam
A computer (Mac, PC, or Chromebook) with a recent operating system (less than 3–4 years old) that has either Chrome or Firefox installed and a consistent Internet connection capable of uploading files larger than 3 Mbps. A web camera and microphone required for course participation and the exam, but this is standard on most laptops. Click here to review the exam manual..
If for some reason a student is not able to complete the online exam, the student will be allowed to take the exam at the Prov Testing Site (visit https://tinyurl.com/y7objh2g for locations) of their choice within 3 months after the course. NIA encourages students to take the online exam.
Once a student completes the Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification Program and successfully passes the exam, they become certified as a NIA Certified Thermal Insulation Inspector for 3 years. The certification will expire December 31 of the third year, regardless of the month the certification was completed. During the third year, the student will receive a letter and email detailing the online recertification process. Additional details about the recertification process will be announced in 2020, at that time all Certified Insulation Inspectors will be contacted with more information.
What NIA Leaders Say about NIA's Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification
“This program will be helpful in raising the bar for mechanical insulation contracting. I was very impressed with the detail and quality of the student materials and how knowledgeable all the instructors are.”
— John Lamberton, NIA Immediate Past President, Chief Operating Officer, Irex Contracting Group, Class Participant
"I am very excited about the initiative for NIA to become the education and training leader in our industry. Using the knowledge of our membership to create curriculum is an example of how we can lead the industry to future success. We have online training as well as classroom instruction, and continue to add content to address the needs of the industry. Having tools available to train our employees is a huge benefit, but I am also excited that we have programs available to people outside of our association. Launching the Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification is the impressive result of our members working together to create a certification program that will elevate the awareness of the importance of mechanical insulation."
— Dana Vlk, NIA Past President
"The Thermal Insulation Inspector Certification that NIA is developing has the potential to be a game changer in how systems are installed, the quality of the system, and it’s just going to raise the bar for the industry at all levels—manufacturing, contracting, distribution—everyone is going to have to be on their game because there will be oversight to ensure things are getting done per the specification."
— Dan Bofinger, NIA Past President and Regional Vice President, East, Specialty Products & Insulation