Check back often for the latest updates on how NIA is putting the spotlight on insulation through the activities of NIA's Foundation for Education, Training, and Industry Advancement. The Foundation was created to increase awareness of the benefits of insulation to external audiences. NIA’s Foundation works with strategic partners to gain recognition for the need to properly design and maintain insulation systems and also maintains an active presence on Capitol Hill and works to introduce and support legislation that can increase the use of insulation and benefit the industry.
Join Us in DC at the Capitol Hill Fly-In
Insulation Industry National Policy Conference & Capitol Hill Fly-In
May 21–22, 2019
Liaison Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
To register and for more information, email Kristin DiDomenico
All NIA members are encouraged to attend the 2019 Insulation Industry National Policy Conference and Capitol Hill Fly-In. No previous lobbying experience is necessary. Insulation industry participants representing all segments of the commercial, industrial, and residential insulation segments will be coming from across the country to discuss the value of insulation with our nation’s legislative officials.
The conference includes a luncheon and presentations with high-profile speakers on immigration and workforce policy, infrastructure and disaster resilience, and climate change policy—along with advocacy training and pre-arranged Capitol Hill meetings. Your participation will strengthen the collective voice of the insulation industry! White Papers on these issues will also be provided. This is the second year that NIA members are participating, and last year’s event was a tremendous success with over 100 participants descending on Capitol Hill.
“Last year’s Capitol Hill Fly-In was an amazing day for me! It was exciting to visit Capitol Hill for the first time and engage in important conversations about mechanical insulation. The event organizers effectively made participation easy. Your legislative appointments are made, your team is diversified to represent a variety of industry sectors, and the focused talking points provide the framework for us to share our unique industry perspectives that our legislators need to hear. I had never lobbied on Capitol Hill before, but what I took away from the day is our voices are valued in this arena to share the enormous benefits of insulation with our nation’s lawmakers.”—Dana Vlk, NIA President-Elect, and Senior Advisor, Distribution International, Inc.
“As many of our members know all too well, the numerous benefits of mechanical insulation are not well known, especially on the Hill. With the strength of the full insulation industry, the fly-in provides a powerful presence to have insulation recognized and an important singular opportunity to make the case for mechanical insulation directly to our lawmakers and influence real change. I hope you will join NIA in this special opportunity and help make the voice of the insulation industry heard.” —Michele M. Jones, NIA CEO/EVP
The event is being organized by the Insulation Industry Association Council, (IIAC), of which NIA is a founding member. If you are interested in attending this year, please contact Kristin DiDomenico at email@example.com or 703-464-6422, ext. 115.
NIA would like to thank the organizers and all of our member companies that participated in the Insulation Industry National Policy Forum. For a complete list of the activities, speakers, and Capitol Hill meetings, please read the article on the event in the upcoming issue of NIA News.
NIA Members Visit Lawmakers On Capitol Hill
As part of the Insulation Industry National Policy Forum on May 9, 2018, over 25 people from the National Insulation Association (NIA) members companies are meeting with members of Congress in Washington, DC. In total 86 meetings with the offices of Representatives and Senators will be held with 110 insulation industry leaders to discuss the advancement of the insulation industry.
NIA to Participate in Insulation Industry National Policy Forum
On May 8–9, 2018, the National Insulation Association (NIA) is traveling to Washington, DC, to participate in an Insulation Industry National Policy Forum. The objective of this forum is to discuss national policies that affect the insulation industry and to advocate for changes that will help support and grow the industry.
This is NIA’s first year attending the forum. Other participating organizations include: American Chemistry Council (ACC), through the Center for the Polyurethanes Industry (CPI) and the Spray Foam Coalition (SFC); the Polyisocyanurate Insulation Manufacturers Association (PIMA); North American Insulation Manufacturers Association (NAIMA); Cellulose Insulation Manufacturers Association (CIMA); Structural Insulated Panel Association (SIPA); Extruded Polystyrene Association (XPSA); the Insulation Contractors Association of America (ICAA); and Insulate for America and their respective member companies.
Michele Jones, NIA’s Executive Vice President/CEO, noted, “This unprecedented gathering of industry organizations will help promote our common goals and raise the profile of insulation and its ability to save energy, lower emissions, reduce costs, and grow the economy.”
This event will focus on 3 main policy areas of importance to the insulation industry:
- Resilient Buildings: Ensure infrastructure policies at the federal level support the construction of resilient buildings.
- Department of Energy Efficiency Programs: Support the modest, yet important, role the Department of Energy plays in promoting healthy, energy-efficient homes and workplaces.
- Immigration: Support federal immigration policies that promote a legal, foreign-born workforce for the construction industry.
White papers written in support of these policy objectives will be made available next week.
The forum will also include a panel presentation on commercial and industrial insulation markets that will be co-facilitated by NIA Consultant and Past President Ron King.
NIA’s leadership will use this opportunity to advocate for policy changes that can help alleviate issues in the industry and provide additional opportunities for growth.
Insulation Advocate Past Issues
- American Energy and Insulation (July 2017)
- NIA Eager to Help Shape Nation’s Energy Future (October and November 2016)
- Insulation Advocate Update on September’s Activities: Department of Veterans Affairs to Start Insulation Assessments (September 2016)
- Congress Makes Progress on Energy Bills before Summer Recess (June and July 2016)
- Appropriations Bills Move Closer to Passage (May 2016)
- New Legislation to Include Insulation Language (April 2016)
- DOE Agrees to Conduct Insulation Study (March 2016)
- NIA Advocates for Insulation and Helps Member Prepare for Congressional Visit (January/February 2016)
- Ending 2015 with a Strong Push for Insulation (December 2015)
- Senators Stand Up for Mechanical Insulation (November 2015)
- NIA Helps Bring First-Ever Insulation Trade Show to Its Members (October 2015)
- Autumn Outlook: Continued Push for Energy-Policy Packages (September 2015)
- NIA's Language Included in Proposed Energy Legislation (June and July 2015)
- Congress Moves Closer to Passing Comprehensive Energy Package (May 2015)
- Working Behind the Scenes on Capitol Hill (April 2015)
- Success in San Antonio (March 2015)
- Full Speed Ahead (January/February 2015)
- NIA Successfully Includes Insulation Language in Appropriations Bill (December 2014)
- Making the Most of 2014 (October/November 2014)
- Moving the Industry Forward (September 2014)
- Building Strategies for the Fall (July 2014)
- Victory on Capitol Hill! (June 2014)
- Focusing on Education (May 2014)
- New Insulation Efforts Bolstered by Allies (March/April 2014)
- Triumph on Capitol Hill (January/February 2014)
- Strength in Numbers (November/December 2013)
- Building from the Ground Up (October 2013)
- Soldiering Onward (September 2013)
- Insulation Gaining Respect on Capitol Hill (July 2013)
- Insulation is Featured Topic at Congressional Hearing (June 2013)
- Calling All NIA Members! (May 2013)
- NIA Leadership Advances Mechanical Insulation Agenda on Capitol Hill (April 2013)
- Temperatures Rising in D.C. (March 2013)
- Springing into Action with NIBS, the Navy, and NIA's Convention (February 2013)
- New Congress, New Legislation (December 2012/January 2013)
- Post-Election Wrap-Up (November 2012)
- Advancements in Energy Efficiency Legislation and a Milestone for Mechanical Insulation (October 2012)
- A Season of Change (September 2012)
- Stepping Into The Bipartisan Spotlight (July 2012)
- Mechanical Insulation: Every Voice Counts (June 2012)
- Mechanical Insulation: Making Headlines (May 2012)
- April Showers Sprout Cautious Optimism (April 2012)
- Mechanical Insulation: Growing Awareness for Energy Savings (March 2012)
- Who Loves Mechanical Insulation? (February 2012)
- 2012: The Year of Mechanical Insulation? (January 2012)
- Wrapping Up 2011 (December 2011)
- Reasons to Give Thanks (November 2011)
- Mechanical Insulation Showcased on Capitol Hill (October 2011)
- Mechanical Insulation ABCs: App, Bills, and Calculators (September 2011)
- Mother Nature Versus NIA (August 2011)
- Mechanical Insulation: The One Things Both Parties Can Agree On? (July 2011)
- Capitol Hill and Beyond: NIA's Summertime Strategy (June 2011)
- Riding the Energy Wave: Engaging Congress on Mechanical Insulation Priorities (May 2011)
- Friends of Mechanical Insulation: Gaining Support and Awareness for Our Legislative Priorities (April 2011)
- Tucson to Washington: NIA Members Join Together to Move the Needle on Mechanical Insulation (3-31-2011)
- Progress Through the Gridlock in Washington, DC (2-28-2011)
- Facing a New Environment in the New Year: Advancing Mechanical Insulation in Washington (1-31-2011)
- Looking Back, Moving Forward: Devising a Winning Strategy for Mechanical Insulation in 2011 (1-5-2011)
- Mechanical Insulation and Mid-Term Elections: Working Through "Lame Duck," Looking Ahead to the 112th Congress (11-30-2010)
- Final Push for Mechanical Insulation in the 111th Congress (10-28-2010)
- Preparing for Success: Moving Forward on Mechanical Insulation Legislation (9-29-2010)
- Mechanical Insulation on the Move: NIA Reaches New Milestone with Introduction of S. 3716 (8-30-10)
- Urgent: Senate Bipartisan Mechanical Insulation Tax Bill Introduced (S. 3716) ï¿½ Your Support Needed (8-16-2010)
- Democracy in Action: Mechanical Insulation Earns Key Recognition with Lawmakers (7-30-10)
- Mechanical Insulation: Small Investment, Big Rewards (6-29-10)
- Outreach and Education: Communicating the Importance of Mechanical Insulation (5-27-10)
- Every Member Counts: Building Momentum for Mechanical Insulation (4-23-10)
- March Madness for Mechanical Insulation (3-30-2010)
- Momentum for Mechanical Insulation (2-28-2010)
- A Collaborative Effort (1-28-2010)
- Time for Action (12-15-2009)
- A Reason to Be Thankful (11-30-2009)
- Chalk One Up for Mechanical Insulation (10-29-2009)
- Important Steps in September (9-30-2009)
- Leaving No Stone Unturned (8-26-2009)
- Meeting Governors, A Legislative Success, and More (7-9-2009)
- (Climate) Change Is Upon Us (4-24-2009)
- A Strong Start on Capitol Hill (3-26-2009)
- NIA Launches Campaign for Federal Funding (3-10-2009)